Sometimes life just gets too much. We must learn to really feel our emotions in order to release them, giving us room to breathe. Here are the ways in which I express and therefore release my emotions.
- I paint or draw. This creative outlet makes my feelings visual and tidies my mind by putting all those emotions onto paper, rather than having them rattling around my brain in endless circles.
- I sing. Find a song that reflects your emotion with lyrics that really speak to you. Then belt it at the top of your voice. This releases tension and pent up energy.
- I learn. Teach yourself a new skill, lose yourself in a new hobby. It may be only a distraction from the storm inside, but once you’ve mastered your art, you can use it to channel the tornado that whirls within.
- I exercise. I cannot stress how beneficial exercise can be. It is not only physically rewarding but also helps to focus your energies. Go for a long walk, a bike ride, a dip in the pool and clear your head.
- Listen to your body. Take a break. Relax. Unwind. Have a bath, read a book, listen to music, say nice things to yourself on the mirror. Practice self care.
- Question your own feelings. Work out why they are there. Is there anything you can do about them? Are they positive or negative emotions? What is the cause?
If anyone has any advice for releasing emotions please comment below!